What should I do if my dog gets stung by a bee or wasp?
We are at the time of the year when the flowers and grass are alive with the buzz of bees and wasps. Should your dog end up on the receiving end of a sting from a bee or wasp they will experience nothing more than a swollen paw or face and some general irritation to the area stung. It will generally cause some distress, but this should fade away in a small matter of time.
But and this is not very common but something to be aware of, your dog may in fact be allergic to the sting of a bee or wasp. If this is left untreated then they can be very serious. Multiple stings should be treated very seriously, and you should contact your vet straight away. Stings to the mouth and throat should also be treated in the same way. Call your vet immediately, they will most likely advise that you bring them in straight away.
You know your dog better than anybody else and will know when they are acting out of character or in some form of discomfort
Keep an eye out for any changes in behavior, if your dog has begun to whinge, they are paying attention to a problem area through repetitive biting or pawing or quite simply you have noticed an unusual swelling.
These are all common indicators that your dog has been stung by a bee or wasp, but your dog is letting you know this is the issue
If your dog has been stung by a bee or wasp and has become infected there are some tell-tale signs. Rapid breathing is a tell-tale sign that your dog has been stung. Vomiting is an indicator that something is wrong and, in the Spring, and Summer months alongside you should always be on the lookout for this.
Other signs to be vigilant for are diarrhea, pale gums, and general fatigue. Should you ever be concerned about unfamiliar behavior contact your vet immediately
What if I can see the sting?
If the sting is visible you can simply remove the sting using a credit card or another flat surface which will allow you to scrape the sting out. When scraping the sting out always scrape from beneath the venom sac as this may release more venom which will in turn enhance the irritation
After removing the sting run a dishcloth/ tea towel under a cold tap and apply it to the problem area. This will assist to reduce the swelling. We advise a cold cloth rather than ice as the shock in temperature can be unpleasant for your dog. It is important to keep your dog as calm as possible, after all, nobody enjoys a nasty sting from a bee or wasp.
Some people recommend giving your dog antihistamines, but some of the ingredients within over-the-counter antihistamines can be deadly for dogs.
Simply put, be alert, remove the sting, if possible, if you are still in doubt then always seek the advice of your veterinary professional
#dogsting #dogfirstaid #dogtraining #dogtips #dogtoiletraining #dogperfurme #dogspray #dogsmell #beesting #dogsting